Bujagali hydro power plant was much needed project as per the government which might not be the case as that fund could be used for other development programs which can show up result earlier than a power plant since Uganda is poor country. But let us assume that the project was needed to be done. now there were many flaws:
- No feasibility and project study was done by the government or authorities even though this is considered as the most important step in any project.
- Government just decided that we need to do the project and privately selected the company for the same, no transparency and competitive bid was involved which could have ended in much more reasonable prices
- World bank known for its support for the socially relevant project played an important role and decided to finance the project with the help of different agencies, but WB itself did not do any studies or any member was involved in any of the committee which did the studies which made WB rely on the report which will be sent by the third party. That created problem when NGOs started protesting and WB did not had its own reprt so it got confused who is right here.
- Here the biggest challenge was the social impact which was linked with economics of the country also. I realized here that the physically resettlement is not always the option as there are cultural and emotional or economical factors are also involved which are attached with the place where they live.
- Since the EIA was done when project was allotted and was done by the AES. There is high probability that it will show it as good project to get the finance. This was 2500 pages report which is hard to read also.
- A comprehensive study of the project with member from the WB, government and company would result in a good DPR which will help project to go along.